Sunday 15 January 2012

Air Travel Sucks.


As the US stock markets are closed on Monday, we can take the queue from the futures and Asian / European markets about the coming week. In any case, it is expected to be a red week. January option expiration, MLK week and mid-January seasonality, all points to a lower direction. And in any case, markets are over bought, over extended and need to be corrected. So at least for the next week I am bearish.

Since there is not much of analysis to do, I thought I will take this opportunity to write about various airlines which  I have had the fortune / misfortune of flying with. I travel a lot. So I have come across various airlines and sometimes it seems to me that the airlines are micro chromosomes of the countries where they come from. They represent the culture and economy of the originating country.

On a long haul, I would definitely prefer to avoid any American airliner. Be it American Airlines, Delta or United. These airlines treat their customers as dirt. The crews are mostly unhelpful and rude. Foods served are stale and positively unimaginative. At the end of flight, one is just plain happy that the ordeal has ended. No wonder these airlines cannot make money. I fly often between Toronto and Boston and even when it cost me more money, I fly by Air-Canada and avoid United or Delta like plague. I am not sure what is wrong with these American Airlines or why the staffs are so grumpy always or so unhelpful. They think they are doing us a favour by allowing us to fly with them. Arrogance and incompetence drip all over. But I do not think they really represent America. Or do they?

If I am flying to Far East, my favourite airlines are Singapore Airlines or Kathy Pacific. I prefer them over Korean or Japanese airlines. If I am flying to India, I would prefer Air India or Jet Airways. Air India is good when it takes off. The problem is, more often than not we are not sure if it will take off. If I am flying to Middle East, I would prefer Emirates over Etihad Airlines.

While flying to Europe, my favourite is Lufthansa followed by KLM. I do not understand why British Airlines charge more than other European Airlines because their service is not that great. I absolutely despise Air-France or Alitalia. Folks there are absolutely arrogant and revolting. At least you can expect food to be little better in Air-France but Alitalia is a looser in all counts. If you have the misfortune of flying with Alitalia, you might think that Italy is the armpit of Europe. The airports also say a lot about the country you are flying to.
The airport in New Delhi is one of the nicest and finest I have come across. It goes to show that India is trying to change for better. Changi airport in Singapore is also great and so is the Hong Kong airport. The Abu Dhabi airport is oh so average. But Milan airport represents a third world country twenty years back. It seems that Italy as a country has some serious identity problem. They know that they have lost it but unwilling to accept the truth. It is surprising that except Frankfort or Holland airport; most of the airports in Europe are stuck in the past. May be that’s what is the problem with Europe. They are stuck in their past. Even the regional airports in China are better than most of the major European airports.

For a business traveler, flying is the unavoidable pain in the ass. So over years, I have learnt that it is not worth saving few dollars to book a cheaper flight in some crappy airlines. It is important that you are treated with respect while on board. But flying with different airlines in different parts of the world possibly gives an advanced notice about what is happening with various countries. Which countries are on the rise and which ones are on decline. There is no better leading macro-economic indicator than the airlines.

Send your comments about your flying experiences and your favourite or not so favourite airlines. Let us amuse ourselves till we plunge in the market action from Tuesday. Thanks for your comments and emails and following me in Twitter. (@BBFinanceblog) 

12 comments:

  1. Great article, interesting thoughts! and so true in every respect.

    The planes are identical but the attitude of the crew, the interior design and the service makes all the difference. And it continues at the airports, as you mention. Only thing I would add is the attitude of the personnel at the immigration. A condensed view of the society indeed.

    And I can just confirm your experience with american and european carriers, in comparison to the asian ones you mentioned (i can also add Garuda Indonesia as a positive experience, but it's already 15 years back).

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, you're like George Clooney in that movie 'Up in the air'. heh. If you don't mind, what's your line of work that takes you to travel these many places?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, avoid AA, Delta and United, unless you've no other choice!

    Do try Virgin Airlines! The inflight lighting is cool, and so is their service! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ringo, James.
    Arun, we are private wealth management advisor and boutique investment firm. We work with very high net worth investors in many countries and hence the travel.We also look for investment opportunities in various countries.Hope that satisfies your curiosity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Howdy BB, is that you on the right? I wish you safety and happy travels. I am watching GOOG earnings very closely this week. See you around the blog, TexEx.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't like flying although it used to be enjoyable to fly commercial. It could be worse, think 12 hours in an ejection seat with your oxygen mask hanging off one side of your flight helmet. GRC

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really sweating this one out---thinking about adding inverse dzz, and a little more sds. Right now my mind says (do something).

    ReplyDelete
  8. You had mentioned the 20th as your line in the sand. Is there anything about this market that has led you to change your opinion on its direction?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope that you are flying today and do not have to suffer thru this grinding push upwards!

    ReplyDelete
  10. bb - Hi from Delhi. Was looking for you in the Bombay Hilton yesterday (to give you the promised drink), but no luck. Just FYI, as intimated last week, I will switch short (for 30-40 TF points) in the TF 780-784 zone, around ES 1310-1315.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 70% short and will be fully short around 784 TF.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks friends. Just back few hours back. I have not stopped blogging. Was just unable to make a post. Hope you will enjoy today's post. Stay resolute. We will prevail.

    ReplyDelete